(2020-10-01) Hacking, Phreaking, History lesson
00:40:26 "[..] And so all of a sudden, people became less and less free with their information, less free about sharing stuff, both because, hey, now for the first time, we all knew people would be busted because so many people were being busted."
- How Stu and DethVeggie met
- How DethVeggie joined CDC
- Some interesting stories about the early days of CDC and groups that emerged from CDC
- What CDC are up to now and some exciting future projects
- Conspiracy Theories (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
- Discussion around privacy
- Communities then vs Communities now
- An amazing rant
- And the usual questions from our audience live
00:10:14 "[..] And then came the day my parents got a six hundred dollar phone bill because I'd been calling BBSes and other parts of the country. And in fact, in other parts of the world, I remember calling places. In Sweden, for instance, and, you know, my you know, my dad kind of sat me down, was like this, this will not happen again, but in his thick German accent and I was OK, well, I'm not going to stop calling these places. So I guess they're going to figure out how to call them for free."
00:46:06 "Any time you introduce money into an equation, it is going to radically change it. So, you know, you can you can make an argument whether it's changing it for the better, for the worse on an on an individual basis. But, it will change it [...]"
00:59:38 "Somebody be busted for hacking and they would be in news stories like, oh, they cost three hundred thousand dollars worth of damage, it's like, no, they didn't cause any damage. What you're saying is that it cost the company three hundred thousand dollars to fix the hole that this person found it. They didn't make this hole. They didn't break anything. They didn't destroy anything. They just found a hole that was already there that it cost you a thousand dollars to fix your own holes."
- Hacker Crack Down Book
- Free online Version of Hacker Crack Down
- Lies My Teacher Told Me Book
- Cybermaia '94
- DethVeggie Twitter
- CDC Site